Thursday, August 16, 2012

Meet Tonya Phillips


I believe that a student’s creativity and innovation stems from a comfort and confidence in self and a real love of learning.  As I build a relationship with students the learning becomes fun, enjoyable and even exciting for everyone.  My philosophy and approach is to assist others to be problem solvers and critical thinkers.  Writing and reading are particularly important to me and central to my teaching practice.  One of my strongest assets is my ability to relate to individual student needs, identify strengths, and allow exploration of learning with emphasis on personal strengths. I have a Masters Degree In Teaching, and a Bachelor’s Degree in Speech Communication.  I have three years of teaching experience in a school setting and many more years in project development.  Particular educational interests have been projects in the Arts and Organic Gardening.  I developed an organic gardening project for a local charter school that was funded by Home Depot.  I am inquisitive and problem solving is foremost in my mind. In addition to teaching for several years, I have been an entrepreneur, small business consultant, a gymnast and I coached gymnastics for 12 years. I started my first company at the age of 2I, and built that company to over 3 million dollars in sales within 2.5 years and now understand how dishonesty can bankrupt a company in months.  I know how to make things operate efficiently and can manage almost any situation.  I have refined my teaching practice to consider the whole child and teach real world understanding to students in a way that not only makes sense but also educates at a fundamental level.

Tonya Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment